The Asian American Studies minor requires a total of 7 courses:
LOWER DIVISION CORE COURSES
Students must complete two (2) lower-division courses from:
- Asian American Studies 10 or 10W: History of Asian Americans;
- Asian American Studies 20 or 20W: Contemporary Asian American Communities;
- Asian American Studies 30 or 30W: Asian American Literature and Culture;
- Asian American Studies 40 or 40W: Asian American Movement;
- Asian American Studies 50 or 50W: Asian American Women
UPPER DIVISION COURSES
Students must complete five upper-division courses, one from each of the categories listed below*:
- One AAS Creative Expression course numbered from Asian American Studies 107, 112C, 120, 121, 122B, C142A, C142B, C142C, M160, M173;
- One AAS Diversity course, numbered from Asian American Studies 115, M116, 120, M124, 130A, M130B, M130C, 131A, 131B, 131C, 132A, 133, 134, 143B, M143C, M160, M164, M165, M166A, 167, M169, 174A, 175A, 187C, 191C;
- One AAS Engaged Scholarship course, numbered from Asian American Studies 104A, 104B, 140SL, 141A, 141B, M143A, M168, 185, 195, 195CE, History 195CE, Sociology 195CE;
- One AAS Global/Transnational Perspectives course, numbered from Asian American Studies 122A, 123, M163, M164, 170, 171A, 171B, 171C, M171D, 171E, M172A, 172B, M172C, 174B, 175B, 176, 177;
- One AAS Multidisciplinary Approaches course, numbered from Asian American Studies103 through M129, M161, M163, M166B, M166C, M168, M172C, 187A, 191A, M191F
- No more than 4 graded units of Asian American Studies 195, 197, 198, and 199 may be applied toward the major.
- Asian American Studies 192 and 196 may not be applied toward the major.
- A minimum of 20 units applied toward the minor requirements must be in addition to units applied toward major requirements or another minor.
- Each course applied toward the major must be taken for a letter grade (courses offered only on a P/NP grading basis are acceptable), each must be at least 4 units, and students must have an overall GPA of 2.0 or better.
- Successful completion of the minor is indicated on the transcript and diploma.
Minor requirement worksheet for students entering Fall 2013 and after:
Undergraduate Minor Course Planning Worksheet PDF (last updated: February 26, 2019)
Please note that this worksheet is used as a course-planning tool only. This form is not to serve as the official completion document.
TO DECLARE THE MINOR
- To enter the minor, students must have an overall grade-point average of 2.0 or better, have completed two lower-division Asian American Studies courses, and file an Undergraduate Program Change Petition with the Department Academic Advisor (send via MyUCLA Message Center or in-person, advising appointments preferred)