Asian American Studies Course Petition
Looking to petition a course in fulfillment of Asian American Studies major, minor, or graduate concentration requirements? Complete the following form and attach the course syllabus of the course to be reviewed.
Department Academic Advising
Prospective and current graduate students may email Justin “JB” Baker with any questions related to academic advising and admissions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The UCLA Department of Asian American Studies offers a Graduate Concentration in Asian American Studies to allow graduate students enrolled in UCLA departments, programs, and professional schools to acquire expertise and a credential in Asian American Studies. In conjunction with another graduate program, students take four courses, which include an individual studies course in which students must complete an Asian American Studies-related major research paper. Courses taken for the Asian American Studies Graduate Concentration are in addition to the student’s primary program requirements and should be completed before advancing to candidacy.
Upon completion of the requirements, the Department of Asian American Studies will furnish graduate concentrators with a letter attesting to their basic competency in graduate work in Asian American Studies.
All graduate students enrolled in a UCLA department, program and professional school and are in good academic standing are eligible to apply. Enrollment in some course may require instructor consent.
- Download and complete the Graduate Concentration application: AAS_Concentration_Form_2020
- Submit the completed Graduate Concentration application to Justin “JB” Baker: email@example.com.
- To complete the Graduate Concentration, students must complete and take for a letter grade a total of four courses offered by the Department of Asian American Studies:
- Asian American Studies Graduate Core course: ASIA AM 200A, 200B, or 200C. Limit 1 course for credit from this category.
- Asian American Studies Undergraduate upper-division course (ASIA AM 101-199). Limit 1 course for credit from this category.
- ASIA AM 203, M215, M239, M260, M261, M290Q, and 297A-Z; EDUC 253G. No limit from this category.
- ASIA AM 596. Limit 1 course for credit from this category. See the Department’s Academic Advisor for enrollment procedures.
ALL PROCEDURES, INCLUDING COMPLETION VERIFICATION,
MUST BE COMPLETED THE QUARTER BEFORE YOUR FINAL DISSERTATION / THESIS IS FILED.