Deadline: Monday, March 4, 2019. All application materials must be received by this date.
Formerly known as Leadership In Action (LIA), LEAP Emerge: Summer Internship Programis an eight-week paid summer internship program designed to develop emerging young leaders by providing college students with practical leadership skills and the opportunity to work hands-on in the Asian and Pacific Islander (API) community in Southern California.
Interns kick off the program with a week-long Leadership Retreat Week, where they will be trained on crucial leadership skills and community issues. Afterwards, they will receive additional leadership training once a week for the remaining 7 weeks of the program. They are also placed at a Southern California nonprofit organization that serves the API community for 4 full days a week for the remaining 7 weeks of the program.
Nationally recognized trainers are recruited to deliver workshops in critical leadership skill areas. Issue discussions are on local or timely topics of interest and are facilitated by local community leaders/activists and LEAP trainers.
Key Benefits of the program:
- Explore issues affecting Asian and Pacific Islanders.
- Expand self awareness and deepen understanding of your values.
- Explore and engage with different leadership styles.
- Practice leadership and workforce development skills such as communication, teamwork, public speaking, and giving/receiving feedback.
- Preparation and experience to volunteer and work in the nonprofit sector.
Who should apply?
College students or recent graduates with:
- A passion for learning and growing their leadership skills
- An interest in gaining work experience in an API-serving community-based nonprofit organization
- Experience working and collaborating with the Asian and Pacific Islander community (preferred but not necessary)
Applicants must have completed two year of college by June 17, 2019, currently enrolled in college, or a recent graduate. All applicants must be able to commit to the full eight-week program.
Program Length and Stipend
The program runs from June 17, 2019 to August 9, 2019. Interns will receive a stipend of $4,140 for successful completion of the program. Interns are responsible for their own housing, transportation, and insurance.
Two letters of recommendation – Must be emailed by letter writer to firstname.lastname@example.org OR mailed to LEAP office.
Official transcript – Must be emailed by undergraduate institution to email@example.com OR mailed to LEAP office.
Current resume – Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Short Essay Responses – Preview questions below and email your response to email@example.com.
All materials must be in by Monday, March 4, 2019