THE TOURNAMENT OF ROSES ANNOUNCES THE DEBUT OF THE ROSE BOWL GAME KEITH JACKSON POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
A $10k scholarship will be awarded to one student from a Big Ten Conference school and one student from a Pac-12 Conference school
PASADENA, Calif. (November 30, 2018) –The Tournament of Roses® announced today the creation of a new and unique scholarship award – The Rose Bowl Game Keith Jackson Postgraduate Scholarship.
The annual scholarship will recognize one senior student from the Big Ten Conference and one senior student from the Pac-12 Conference for exceptional achievement in academics and civic service. Each student will receive a $10,000 scholarship, to be paid to their postgraduate institution of choice, to further their academic study in an area of their choosing. The scholarship is now open for applications and will be awarded for the first time in the Spring of 2019.
Additionally, as part of the Keith Jackson Postgraduate Scholarship, each recipient will be given the opportunity to receive a “Rose Bowl Game Experience.” The experience will consist of a four-night trip to Pasadena, Calif., to shadow staff during the build-up to “The Granddaddy of Them All,” culminating with the opportunity to work the Rose Bowl Game on New Year’s Day.
The scholarship is named on behalf of Keith Jackson, who was the voice of college football for several generations. Jackson was a man of many catchphrases, including “Whoa, Nellie” and “Big Uglies”, but was also credited with popularizing the Rose Bowl Game’s nickname as “The Granddaddy of Them All”. He was on the call for the Rose Bowl Game on 15 occasions, more than any other broadcaster, from 1989 to 2006. His final game in the broadcast booth was the 2006 BCS National Championship at the Rose Bowl Game.
“The Tournament of Roses is thrilled to announce this scholarship in conjunction with our partners at the Big Ten and Pac-12 Conferences,” said Laura Farber, Tournament of Roses Executive Vice President. “Keith Jackson meant so much to the Rose Bowl Game and we’re honored that we can continue his legacy with this scholarship award that is not just a monetary award but also includes an experience unique to the Granddaddy of Them All.”
The Keith Jackson Postgraduate Scholarship is funded by the Rose Bowl Game, which is a tri-party agreement between the Pasadena Tournament of Roses, the Big Ten Conference and the Pac-12 Conference. For more information, including details on eligibility and how to apply, please visit www.tournamentofroses.com/events/scholarship.
About the Pasadena Tournament of Roses®
The Tournament of Roses is a volunteer organization that annually hosts America’s New Year Celebration® with the Rose Parade® presented by Honda, the Rose Bowl Game® presented by Northwestern Mutual and a variety of accompanying events. 935 volunteer members of the association will drive the success of 129th Rose Parade themed “Making a Difference,” on Monday, January 1, 2018, followed by the College Football Playoff Semifinal at the 104th Rose Bowl Game. For more information, visit www.tournamentofroses.com. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
Students from universities that are a part of the Big Ten and Pac-12 Conference are eligible for the scholarship. These students must be in their final year of course study and have consistently demonstrated exceptional achievement in academics and civic service throughout their collegiate career. Specifically, a nomineemust:
- Honorably represent a Big Ten Conference institution or a Pac-12 Conference institution, exhibiting excellencein academics and civic service while displaying strong character and leadership skills.
- Plan to enroll in graduate or professional school within eighteen (18) months of graduation.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 at the time of the application.
- Express an interest to pursue a career in the sports industry, including, but not limited to, sports journalism, media relations, event operations, marketing, etc.
Nominations must be submitted directly to the Tournament of Roses. Nominations are due upon completion of the Fall 2018 term, but no later than February 28, 2019. Complete nomination packets must be scanned and emailed to the Selection Committee of The Tournament of Roses (address below).
Selection Committee – Keith Jackson Postgraduate Scholarship
If you prefer to mail your application, please send to:
Rose Bowl Game
Attn: Keith Jackson Postgraduate Scholarship
391 S. Orange Grove Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91184
Nomination materials must include:
- A student application form prepared and signed by the nominee
- Two letters of recommendation on behalf of the nominee
- One letter of recommendation from an academic faculty member familiar with the nominee’s academic performance (highlighting academic achievement and effort, extracurricular activities, leadership, accomplishments,)
- One letter of recommendation from an employer, coach or community representative (highlighting character, leadership, teamwork, work ethic,)
- An official copy of the nominee’s transcript
- A resume that includes relevant work experience and community service
- A headshot of the student for publicity purposes (please email in .JPEG format to firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more information, press only:
Karen Linhart, Rose Bowl Game, 626-817-9347, email@example.com
Doug Ingels, Rose Bowl Game, 626-817-9346, firstname.lastname@example.org