Asian American Studies Major Entering Before 2013
Course Requirements for students entering before Fall 2013
The Department of Asian American Studies B.A. major requires a total of fifteen courses:
LOWER DIVISION CORE COURSES
Students are required to complete any two (2) of the following core Asian American Studies courses:
- AAS 10 or AAS 10W
- AAS 20
- AAS 30 or AAS 30W
- AAS 50
UPPER DIVISION COURSES
Students must complete thirteen upper division courses*:
- One AAS research methodology course, numbered from AAS 100-109, AAS 187A, AAS 191A;
- Two AAS theme courses, numbered from AAS 110-M129, AAS 187B, AAS 191B;
- Two AAS populations and communities courses, numbered from AAS 130-130, AAS 187C, AAS 191C;
- Five AAS electives, numbered from AAS 100-199; AND
- One allied field** course from EACH of the following fields: Comparative Race and Ethnicity,Gender and Sexuality, and Asian Area.
*No more than three AAS contract courses (AAS 195, 196, 197, 198, 199) can be applied to the major. AAS 192 and AAS 196 CANNOT be used to fulfill major requirements.
**All allied field courses must come from the approved departmental major course list.
Asian Language/Writing Requirement
Students must complete language courses OR a writing course.
This requirement can be fulfilled in one of two ways:
1) Asian Language Option: students may opt to complete the year one proficiency (quarter level 3) of an Asian or Pacific Islander language. The language requirement can be fulfilled in one of the following ways:
- coursework at UCLA; or
- course work at an accredited junior college, university, or UC Extensions. Coursework must "transfer" in to UCLA as equivalent of a quarter level 3 of UCLA Asian language course; or
- UCLA placement exam. Student must place into quarter level 4 (that is, exceeding quarter level 3) of an Asian language.
2. Writing Option: students can opt to take one approved upper division writing course.
All courses for the major must be taken for a letter grade.