Event: 2017 UCLA Grad Slam Competition
If you'd like to help make Grand Slam another great success this year, here is a formal invitation from Robin Garrell, the Vice Provost of Graduate Education:
1. Please assist us with our outreach by encouraging your graduate students to enter the competition. Please direct them to the Grad Slam website for further information and to sign up. We have already emailed all graduate students about the competition and will be sending follow-up communications. However, your assistance in getting the word out will be greatly appreciated. Again this year we would especially like to increase participation from students in the Social Sciences and Humanities. The Grad Slam registration deadline is Tuesday, March 8th at 12 midnight PST. They can sign up on the website.
2. Sign-up to be a Grad Slam judge. The time commitment for each round will be 3 hours. We will be provide each judge with a scoring rubric in advance, along with other pertinent information. If you are able to participate as a judge for any of the competition rounds (schedule below), please complete this online form by Friday, March 31st. Based on your response, we will assign you to a competition round.
Tuesday, April 11 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Tuesday, April 11 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, April 12 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Wednesday, April 12 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday, April 18 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Tuesday, April 18 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday, April 25 5:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
3. Post and/or circulate the attached flyer to help get the word out about Grad Slam.
4. Engage key alumni, donors and professional contacts to become involved in Grad Slam, either by attending the events or serving as a judge. Grad Slam is a wonderful cultivation opportunity to expose UCLA associates directly to our graduate students and the impactful research they are conducting. Please contact Sonya Gavin (contact info below) if you would like to receive specific messaging to send to your associates.
5. Attend one or more of the competition rounds to support our students and learn about the remarkable research achievements taking place on this campus every day! They are free and open to the entire campus community and general public. To view the schedule, visit the Grad Slam website and click on the Competition Schedule tab.
6. Forward this message to encourage others in your organizations and departments to get involved in these same ways!